Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Day Three

Finally we get to go out of the city!

But we got lost.

After collecting the car from Thrifty we took like maybe 15 minutes (6km to be exact) before we managed to get OUT of the darn city. I was so fed up with the transport system in Melbourne. Because of the trams, instead of keeping to the extreme right when you are turning right, you're supposed to keep left. That's kinda weird, taking into consideration that vehicles going straight will be stuck behind u... And so I ended up going in circles around the city because of all the one way traffic, no turn right/left at some of the streets and the stupid keep-left-when-turning-right rule.

Finally after getting out of the city, we veered off course for a while before realising that hey, maybe we're not on the right track because the road we're on doesnt seem like a "motorway". So I got off, asked for directions and managed to get on the motorway after a while.

Our destination for the day : The Grampians, "a place to surrender yourself to nature" according to Insight Guides.

After a while the road became very boring to drive on because the scenery remain unchanged for most parts.








Well you kinda get the gist. Basically it's just a straight road for almost 50km and that's it. It was quite a while before we reached the Grampians vicinity. And even then, we still had to maneuver curvy one lane roads in the mountainside. Thank God it was in daylight. Some of the roads were sooo curvy it was impossible to go over 30kph but there were still gungho cars tailgating me and then zooming off after I've stopped to let them overtake us.





After reaching the Grampians it was already past noon and we havent had our lunch so we stopped at the Visitor Centre to get some maps and to look for a nice picnic area where we could eat our packed lunch. The moment we stepped out of the car, there were all these flies that came to surround us. Damn gross lor! I'm just glad they dont bite - and I wished I had brought my portable electric fan that I bought specially for this trip. Darn - the only time where I get to use it I actually forgot to bring it! Yes I know I am ahjumma but who cares.


Along the way to the picnic area, we stopped the car a few times to take some pictures of the vast mountains - I dont really think my point-and-shoot can capture the actual beauty of the SPACE.





We finally managed to find our "picnic spot" after driving a while. Except that it looked like a scene from Twilight instead of the Botanic Gardens.



When we got out of the car, much to the pleasure of the flies around, there was this LONELY table bench in the middle of nowhere. And there was this weird looking object at the far corner that looked like this mini Tyrex we didnt wanna risk finding out if it was a living creature.



In the end we juz went back into the car with our food and ate in there. Pathetic state Part 2 =(

After lunch, we continued with the driving around to visit attractions.





MacKenzie Falls






We only had to hike down a short 1.5 km to get to the foot of Mackenzie Falls





Well according to SOMEONE, here's one of the many pushing-our-fat-faces-together shots






Halfway through walking down to the foot of the Falls









The foot of MacKenzie Falls















The view from the Best of All Lookouts. This picture doesnt really do much justice to the actual thing. Would have been great if I had a panoramic camera of sort.






And then it was a 1km walk from the Best of All Lookouts to the Balconies Lookout.



















We finally got to the Balconies Lookout!




It seems as though there's a hole in the sky from this picture



The photographer at work




On the way walking back to the car, we were exploring the place a lil








No comments:

Post a Comment